Friday, October 23, 2009

Ares I-X test flight

I'm looking forward to being present at the Kennedy Space Center in Florida next week to witness the first test launch of America's new next generation space flight system. The launch is scheduled to be on Tuesday morning at 8AM, with a second launch window on Wednesday morning if the weather doesn't cooperate. I hope to have some video and photos to share when I return. Ares I-X is ready to go and is currently waiting on launch pad 39B.
The Space Shuttle Atlantis is also in position on launch pad 39A, being prepared for the STS 129 mission launch to the ISS on November 16. It will be interesting to observe two generations of launchers on the pads at the same time.

NASA's first flight test for the agency's next-generation spacecraft and launch vehicle system, called Ares I-X, will bring NASA one step closer to its exploration goals. The flight test will provide NASA with an early opportunity to test and prove flight characteristics, hardware, facilities and ground operations associated with the Ares I. You can follow the Ares I-X Twitter feed here.


This Ares Quarterly Progress Report, originally released to the public September 30, 2009, includes progress updates on:
-Development Motor 1 test firing
-J-2X component manufacturing
-Upper stage manufacturing facilities and tooling
-Ares I-X vehicle stacking


No comments: